Accumulo >> mail # dev >> GSOC Project

Hi Josh,

I would like to take the following Jiras for the project scope.

At the moment I'm trying to understand the architecture and run some
basic samples so that I can get familiar with the project.

Regards,
Supun..
On Tue, Mar 26, 2013 at 3:12 PM, Supun Kamburugamuva <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Hi Josh,
>
> Thank you for the detailed clarification. Now I understand the requirements.
>
> I would like both options you've presented. I think as a start to the
> project (since I'm new) improving the existing monitor will be a good
> option. I can see one improvement in ACCUMULO-594 and there are
> several others in the Jiras as well. What are the improvements that
> you think will be best?
>
> Thanks,
> Supun..
>
> On Tue, Mar 26, 2013 at 1:17 PM, Josh Elser <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> Supun,
>>
>> Yup, you've caught on a bit to what I was getting at.
>>
>> The monitor, as Eric hinted as, grew out of necessity for debugging and
>> development purposes of Accumulo. Functionality is typically added from a
>> "it would be nice to know X" stance. Along this line, this is how
>> ACCUMULO-594 came about.
>>
>> Thinking about optimizing the time we contribute to Accumulo, not having to
>> write our own monitoring presentation would, theoretically, free up our time
>> to work on issues inside of Accumulo. This is where the "kill the monitor"
>> ticket comes from. Personally, creating functionality to hook up Accumulo to
>> other presentation systems supplements what the monitor already shows, and
>> it would take many Accumulo releases to generate enough confidence in a
>> complete replacement that would merit remove of the existing monitor.
>>
>> Now, from your stance, it's up to you to decide what interests you most.
>> Don't be afraid that contributions made to the Accumulo monitor will be
>> invalidated. Any additions that Eric mentioned (not to mention many more
>> that we haven't thought of) would be immediately useful for users. If you're
>> familiar with other pieces of monitoring software and would like to work on
>> connecting it to Accumulo, that'd be great too!
>>
>> Perhaps we can move towards what you'd like to get out of this experience
>> and try to tailor the goals to meet that?
>>

>> On 3/26/13 11:35 AM, Supun Kamburugamuva wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi Josh,
>>>
>>> Thank you for the prompt response.
>>>
>>> As Eric mentioned in ACCUMULO-594 I can see there are lot of things
>>> that can be done in the monitoring space. Some of the things include
>>> improving JMX. Also in one Jira it says to kind of abandon the monitor
>>> and use another library (monitoring tool) for monitoring using JMX.
>>> Also there are Jiras for improving the existing monitor visualization
>>> as well. (so I'm bit confused)
>>>
>>> As you've mentioned I think it would be really helpful to define the
>>> scope.
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Supun..

Supun Kamburugamuva
E-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED];  Mobile: +1 812 369 6762
Blog: http://supunk.blogspot.com