Bigtop, mail # dev - Apache Pig 0.11.1 release candidate

Re: Apache Pig 0.11.1 release candidate
Bill Graham 2013-03-31, 18:42
Hi Mark,

Thanks for the work you're doing to support Pig in BigTop. Starting with
Pig 0.12, our release process will be simplified to not include rpm/deb
packages, thanks to BigTop.

I've built Pig on a multiple RHEL versions so this issue might not be as
broadly spanning as you describe. The RPMs for 0.11.0 and 0.11.1 were both
built on rhel5 instances from ec2 (ami-2d8e4c44).

While I don't mind putting together another release, I think we should
proceed to release 0.11.1rc0 for the following reasons:

- since the vote passed and to respect the time people put in
testing/validating this release
- 0.11.1 contains support for Hadoop 0.20.2 and other critical bug fixes,
which people are anxious for. For fairness to those stakeholders, these
fixes were not put into a 0.11.0 RC when discovered late in that release
process.
- Pig 0.11.1 will contain an RPM as part of it's release artifacts.

That said, if the Pig community feels strongly that we should cancel the
release and re-issue a new one, I'm fine with shepherding that process.
As an alternative is it possible for you to build by setting the default
encoding externally? Or could you apply this patch to the pig 0.11.1 distro?

thanks,
Bill

[EMAIL PROTECTED] going forward.*