-Re: increase maximum java code line length
Thomas Koch 2011-10-28, 17:35
> We currently follow the Sun coding conventions as documented on our
> how to contribute page. This is also consistent with hadoop. Given
> this and the fact that the default is 80 in eclipse my preference is
> to stay with what we have.
Eclipse plans to increase the line length to 120 characters in the next
I didn't think that anybody would hold to 80 chars, therefor I give a
- There's no good reason for 80 other then the tradition from punch cards.
- Waiting for Oracle to do anything reasonable might not be reasonable. The
java code style was last updated in 1999!
- 17" can be regarded as a minimum screen size for a developer while I don't
even see problems with 15".
- Java nowadays has generics, making lines even longer.
- Short lines encourage short, cryptic names instead of descriptive ones.
Any other thoughts? Otherwise I'll just wait another decade... :-)
Thomas Koch, http://www.koch.ro