Avro >> mail # user >> Record extensions?

+
Christophe Taton 2012-06-12, 17:38
+
Doug Cutting 2012-06-12, 18:13
+
Christophe Taton 2012-06-13, 01:09
+
Doug Cutting 2012-06-14, 17:10
+
Doug Cutting 2012-06-14, 17:25
+
Scott Carey 2012-06-18, 17:00
Re: Record extensions?
On Tue, Jun 12, 2012 at 10:38 AM, Christophe Taton <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I need my server to handle records with fields that can be "freely" extended
> by users, without requiring a recompile and restart of the server.
> The server itself does not need to know how to handle the content of this
> extensible field.
>
> One way to achieve this is to have a bytes field whose content is managed
> externally, but this is very ineffective in many ways.
> Is there a another way to do this with Avro?

Does this have to use Avro? For schema-less (or 'open document')
style, there are more natural choices like JSON.

-+ Tatu +-