Pig >> mail # dev >> Pig for MongoDB

+
Russell Jurney 2012-07-07, 21:56
+
Alan Gates 2012-07-08, 00:39
Re: Pig for MongoDB
I'm actually talking about implementing another system underneath Pig,
MongoDB along with Hadoop. Write a pig script, pig translates it to Mongo
MapReduce instead of Hadoop MapReduce, if you so desire.  I know the
generalization code was pulled a long time ago (for multiple engines
underneath Pig, Hadoop + some), so I'm wondering how hard Pig/MongoDB would
be to implement.

I'd like to see Pig spread beyond Hadoop, and MongoDB's simple json
MapReduce system might make this easy?

On Sat, Jul 7, 2012 at 5:39 PM, Alan Gates <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> There are mongo load and store functions for pig at
> https://github.com/mongodb/mongo-hadoop/ Is this what you were looking
> for or were you more asking if pig and mongo play well together?
>
> Alan.
>
> On Jul 7, 2012, at 2:56 PM, Russell Jurney wrote:
>
> > I want Pig for MongoDB, for acting on smaller datasets in realtime. Is
> that
> > crazy? Given that the MR code is just JSON, isn't this easier than
> creating
> > Hadoop MapReduce?
> >
> > Crazy idea, I'm just curious if this might not be too hard owing to the
> > json interface to Mongo MapReduce.
> >
> > --
> > Russell Jurney twitter.com/rjurney [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> datasyndrome.com

Dmitriy Ryaboy 2012-07-09, 07:49