HBase >> mail # user >> setTimeRange and setMaxVersions seem to be inefficient

Re: setTimeRange and setMaxVersions seem to be inefficient
Hi Lars:

Thanks for the reply.
I need to understand if I misunderstood the perceived inefficiency because
it seems you don't think quite the same.

Let say, as an example, we have 1 row with 2 columns (col-1 and col-2) in a
table and each column has 1000 versions. Using the following code (the code
might have errors and don't compile):
/**
 * This is very simple use case of a ColumnPrefixFilter.
 * In fact all other filters that make use of filterKeyValue will see
similar
 * performance problems that I have concerned with when the number of
 * versions per column could be huge.

Filter filter = new ColumnPrefixFilter(Bytes.toBytes("col-2"));
Scan scan = new Scan();
scan.setFilter(filter);
ResultScanner scanner = table.getScanner(scan);
for (Result result : scanner) {
    for (KeyValue kv : result.raw()) {
        System.out.println("KV: " + kv + ", Value: " +
        Bytes.toString(kv.getValue()));
    }
}
scanner.close();
*/

Implicitly, the number of version per column that is going to return is 1
(the latest version). User might expect that only 2 comparisons for column
prefix are needed (1 for col-1 and 1 for col-2) but in fact, it processes
the filterKeyValue method in ColumnPrefixFilter 1000 times (1 for col-1 and
1000 for col-2) for col-2 (1 per version) because all versions of the
column have the same prefix for obvious reason. For col-1, it will skip
using SEEK_NEXT_USING_HINT which should skip the 99 versions of col-1.

In summary, the 1000 comparisons (5000 byte comparisons) for the column
prefix "col-2" is wasted because only 1 version is returned to user. Also,
I believe this inefficiency is hidden from the user code but it affects all
filters that use filterKeyValue as the main execution for filtering KVs. Do
we have a case to improve HBase to handle this inefficiency? :) It seems
valid unless you prove otherwise.

Best Regards,

Jerry