HDFS >> mail # dev >> Mysterious 7 byte reads from .meta files

Mysterious 7 byte reads from .meta files
Hi,

We are running hbase with application level checksums turned on. We
basically have the following configuration:

dfs.client.read.shortcircuit.skip.checksum -> true
hbase.regionserver.checksum.verify -> true

We have shortcircuit reads enabled and have verified that its working -
only the HBase region server is accessing the disk. However, an strace on
the region server shows some mysterious 7 byte seeks on the .meta files
(which are also supposed to contain the checksum). We are running
hadoop-2.0.0-alpha.

Do 7 byte reads from .meta files ring a bell to someone's ears - I am not
totally sure if these are checksums or not and I also don't know enough
about hdfs ?

Thanks
Varun