Hadoop, mail # general - [VOTE] Proposed bylaws for the Hadoop project

Re: [VOTE] Proposed bylaws for the Hadoop project
Doug Cutting 2009-11-06, 18:57
I'm concerned about the use of majority voting.  For example, we've
always conducted release votes as if by consensus: 3 +1 votes and no -1
votes are required.  This proposes to change this to "Lazy majority".
Changing anything from consensus to majority risks a tyranny of the
majority.  Currently about 2/3 of the Hadoop PMC share an employer.

Issues that I believe we've previously handled with consensus that would
move to some kind of majority are:
   - Release Plan
   - Release
   - Adoption of New Codebase (e.g. subprojects)
   - Modifying Bylaws

I'd prefer we keep these consensus or consensus-but-one.  As long as we
maintain sufficient PMC diversity (at least three legally independent
parties) consensus-but-one would prevent any single entity from
controlling a vote.

As long as we keep PMC removal consensus-but-one, everything else could
be consensus: if an individual is consistently blocking project progress
with vetos, then they can be removed from the PMC, unless their removal
would create a PMC with fewer than three legally independent entities.

Doug