HBase, mail # dev - Re: Working on assemblies for 0.95

Re: Working on assemblies for 0.95
Stack 2013-03-22, 04:17
On Thu, Mar 21, 2013 at 4:25 PM, Nick Dimiduk <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On Thu, Mar 21, 2013 at 3:44 PM, Stack <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I like better hbase-src be a superset of -bin. I should be able to download
> one package if I want runnable, buildable bits; untaring one archive over
> another strikes me as odd.

I thought this pretty standard practise; could be wrong.

> I need to go through the lib dir and purge the transtiive includes we don't
> > need.  Its a pain figuring what we do and do not need.
>

> Maybe maven can help you here, with the dependency:tree target.

Maven help?  You don't ask maven to help you.  You fight it (We actually
generate dependency reports -- they are not surfaced on the site).

> Useful making the evaluation are the fancy hbase-it tools that have been
> > coming in; I can run suite of tests w/ the runtime and see what breaks.
> >  For hbase-it tests to work, it looks like junit needs to be included as
> > runtime dependency.  We ok w/ that?
> >

> As much as I like having a smoketest (and I think hbase-it is a nice
> candidate), it'll be a little messy. In addition to junit, hbase-it will
> bring in other hbase-*-test jars as runtime dependencies too.

Hmm.  I would love to make a tarball and then when I undo it, run ITs
against it to verify it whether it an RC or it has a change, etc.  Let me
ping Sergey who seemed to be going out of his way to make this work (and
nkewal who recently seems to have gone out of his way to backout junit as
runtime dependency)

> What shall we ship?  A single hbase that defaults to hadoop1?  Or we build
> > a hadoop2 too and ship a binary that includes hadoop2 also?
> >

> For 0.95, might as well support both. I'm concerned about test coverage,
> stability on hadoop2 and would hate to see that as a hard-blocker from
> releasing a 0.96 with all these fancy new features the community has been
> waiting (and waiting, and waiting) for.

Thats three votes in favor... let me try it.

St.Ack