MapReduce, mail # user - Re: Hadoop efficient resource isolation

Re: Hadoop efficient resource isolation
Jeffrey Buell 2013-02-25, 21:37
This is one reason to consider virtualizing Hadoop clusters. The idea is to create multiple virtual clusters on a single physical cluster and apply various kinds of resource controls (CPU, memory, I/O) on the virtual machines that make up each virtual cluster. Then if any application or VM within a virtual cluster crashes, hangs, or tries to hog resources, the other virtual clusters will be unaffected. Multi-tenancy is also enabled since the isolation between virtual clusters is secure.

Jeff

----- Original Message -----

From: "Hemanth Yamijala" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Thursday, February 21, 2013 8:51:04 AM
Subject: Re: Hadoop efficient resource isolation

Supporting a multiuser scenario like this is always hard under Hadoop. There are a few configuration knobs that offer some administrative control and protection.

Specifically for the problem you describe, you could probably set Mapreduce.{map|reduce}.child.ulimit on the tasktrackers, so that any job that is exceeding these limits will be killed. Of course, a side effect of this would be that jobs would be bound by some limits even if they legitimately require more memory.
But you could try starting with this.
Thanks
Hemanth