HDFS >> mail # user >> How "Alpha" is "alpha"?

How "Alpha" is "alpha"?
>From the release page on hadoop's website:

"This release, like previous releases in hadoop-2.x series is still
considered alpha primarily since some of APIs aren't fully-baked and we
expect some churn in future."

How "alpha" is the 2.x line? We're moving off AWS (1.0.3) onto our own
cluster of 10 servers, naturally we want the latest and greatest, but don't
need to live on the bleeding edge (we just wanna process some data, you
know!).

So how "Alpha" is "alpha"?