HBase, mail # dev - Review request for HBASE-7692: Ordered byte[] serialization

Re: Review request for HBASE-7692: Ordered byte[] serialization
Stack 2013-02-26, 23:13
On Fri, Feb 22, 2013 at 10:48 AM, Nick Dimiduk <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On Fri, Feb 22, 2013 at 10:14 AM, Matt Corgan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>

> > > Not quite true. It makes use of Bytes and ImmutableBytesWritable from
> > > hbase-common.
> >
> > Oh, interesting.  Could we inline the code from Bytes.java and somehow
> get
> > rid of the ImmutableBytesWritable.  Like calling packages can add
> > ImmutableBytesWritable functionality on top if they want to?
>

> I'll need to do a more thorough evaluation, but a cursory glance indicates
> use of Bytes could be replaced by arraycopy. ImmutableBytesWritable is used
> mostly as a convenient wrapper over byte[], and may well
> be replaceable with Hadoop's BytesWritable.

Bytes is a bit messy.  Has bits of ByteBuffer and Unsafe going on inside it.

The IBW exists because frequently burned by the fact that BW could change
under you when least expected it.

> Seems like something as low level as rearranging bytes should be dependency
> > free.
> >

> The implementation makes heavy use of Hadoop Writables, but the
> dependencies on HBase instances are mostly convenience.

Orderly makes use of Writables?

St.Ack