HBase >> mail # user >> HBase type support

Re: HBase type support
On Fri, Mar 15, 2013 at 10:45 PM, lars hofhansl <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I think generally we should keep HBase a byte[] based key value store.
> What we should add to HBase are tools that would allow client side apps
> (or libraries) to built functionality on top of plain HBase.

That's precisely it. HBase is not changed in any fundamental way to
acknowledge or enforce types. Instead, the hbase-client module makes type
management easier for user code.

Serialization that maintains a correct semantic sort order is important as
> a building block, so is code that can build up correctly serialized and
> sortable compound keys, as well as hashing algorithms.

Agreed on serialization. Hashing I can do without. Yes it's a common
practice, but IMHO, if you're hashing, you're not taking advantage of the
natural distribution of your data. I think it's a lazy schema designer's
approach. I see no problem with shipping with support for some hashing
strategies if users demand, but I don't think it's a design approach we
should encourage.

Thanks,
Nick