Hadoop >> mail # dev >> [VOTE] Merge HDFS-4949 to trunk

Re: [VOTE] Merge HDFS-4949 to trunk
I've received some feedback that we haven't handled this merge vote the
same as other comparable merge votes, and that the vote should be reset
because of this.

The recent custom is that we only call for the merge vote after all
pre-requisites have been satisfied.  This would include committing to the
feature branch all patches that the devs deem necessary before the code
lands in trunk, posting a test plan, posting an updated design doc in case
implementation choices diverged from the original design doc, and getting a
good test-patch run from Jenkins on the merge patch.  This was the process
followed for other recent major features like HDFS-2802 (snapshots),
HDFS-347 (short-circuit reads via sharing file descriptors), and
HADOOP-8562 (Windows compatibility).  In this thread, we've diverged from
that process by calling for a vote on a branch that hasn't yet completed
the pre-requisites and stating a plan for work to be done before the merge.

I still support this work, but can we please restart the vote after the
pre-requisites have landed in the branch?

Chris Nauroth
Hortonworks
http://hortonworks.com/

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE