MapReduce, mail # user - Re: Replication factor

Re: Replication factor
Harsh J 2013-03-18, 01:26
Hi,

On Wed, Mar 13, 2013 at 2:56 AM, Mohit Anchlia <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Does it mean if I set replication factor on directory /abc and I run a -put
> command and add a file to the directory it will use the new replication
> factor set on the directory /abc?

No, the client sets the desired replication factor requirement when it
invokes the create functions at the NameNode. If not present
explicitly in the invocation call, a default from the client is sent
(which is why setting dfs.replication at a specific client works).

No, the metadata signifying the value of replication is held at the
file inode alone, the dirs are not aware/do not maintain replication
counts of the files under them.

--
Harsh J