Avro >> mail # dev >> [DISCUSS] Avro TLP?

+
Doug Cutting 2010-03-17, 21:09
+
Matt Massie 2010-03-18, 16:22
+
Ryan King 2010-03-18, 17:05
+
Scott Carey 2010-03-18, 17:38
+
Doug Cutting 2010-03-18, 22:07
+
Scott Banachowski 2010-03-18, 17:33
Re: [DISCUSS] Avro TLP?
This makes much sense for how much non-Hadoop use we see being desired
for Avro. The chair rotation is a good plan, too.
--
Jeff

On Wed, Mar 17, 2010 at 2:09 PM, Doug Cutting <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I'd like to start a discussion about promoting Avro from a Hadoop
> sub-project to a top-level Apache project (TLP).
>
> This is not yet a vote.  Once we have established general understanding and
> agreement, I'll call a vote.
>
> I propose we move Avro from hadoop.apache.org/avro to avro.apache.org. Avro
> would then have it's own Project Management Committee (PMC) so that it can
> elect committers and create releases on its own.  Currently these actions
> require votes by the Hadoop PMC.  However I think Avro now has a
> sufficiently large, diverse and distinct community that it can fend for
> itself.
>
> I suggest that initial Avro PMC consist of all active Avro committers at the
> time we make the formal proposal.  This is typical for new TLPs.
> (Subsequently PMCs tend to promote committers to the PMC.  The Hadoop PMC
> generally promotes committers to the PMC after a year of consistent
> activity, while some projects immediately add new committers to their PMC.
>  But we don't need to decide our policy for new PMC membership now, only the
> makeup of the initial PMC.)
>
> I nominate myself as the initial chair of the Avro PMC, with the proviso
> that we adopt a policy of regular chair replacement.  I suggest that Avro
> PMC chairs serve a one or two-year term.  A PMC chair has no more power than
> other PMC members, but rather has a few more duties.  In particular, the
> chair must submit written quarterly reports to the board describing the
> health of the projects developer community.  The chair also maintains
> subversion permissions and committer account creation.
>
> Do these proposal sound reasonable?  Any improvements or questions?
>
> For some background, please read:
>
> http://www.apache.org/foundation/how-it-works.html#roles
>
> The steps I imagine are roughly:
>  - discussion by Avro developers (what I'm starting here today)
>  - vote by Avro developers
>  - discussion by Hadoop PMC
>  - vote by Hadoop PMC
>  - draft resolution sent to board
>  - board votes on resolution to form TLP
>
> Formally, the board alone has the power to create a TLP: all prior steps are
> merely an ordered means to make the case to the board that all involved
> parties support such an action.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Doug

+