Hadoop >> mail # general >> [DISCUSS] - YARN as a sub-project of Apache Hadoop

[DISCUSS] - YARN as a sub-project of Apache Hadoop
Folks,

It's been nearly a year since we merged Hadoop YARN into trunk and we have made several releases since.

It's exciting to see various open-source communities (both in the ASF and externally) start to explore integration with YARN such as Apache Hama, Apache Giraph, Apache S4, Spark etc. This promises to help us realize our hopes of making Apache Hadoop a much more general data processing platform (& storage, of course) and not tied to MapReduce alone for processing data. Furthermore, we already have people contributing interesting prototypes such as DistributedShell and PaaS on YARN.

Given this, I think it would be useful to make YARN a sub-project of Apache Hadoop along with Common, HDFS & MapReduce. I believe this would help other communities realize that they could consider using YARN as a general-purpose resource management layer and help us enhance YARN beyond it's humble beginnings.

Clearly, YARN and MapReduce are different enough that they can and will attract a diverse community.

I'd like to clarify that this proposal *does not* mean we move the code base out of hadoop/common/ tree. It just alleviates hadoop-yarn alongside hadoop-common, hadoop-hdfs & hadoop-mapreduce in hadoop/trunk. Also, there would be *no changes* to release cycles - YARN would be co-released with Common, HDFS & MapReduce.

Thoughts?

----

What does it mean to the Hadoop developer community?

# Project dependencies

The change is that Hadoop would now have 4 sub-projects: Common, HDFS, YARN & MapReduce. As today, the dependencies *do not change*:
- Common is the base
- HDFS depends only on Common
- YARN depends only on Common & HDFS
- MapReduce depends on Common, HDFS & YARN.

# Jira & Mailing lists

We already use separate MAPREDUCE jira issues for making changes to YARN (ResourceManager, NodeManager) and to the MapReduce framework (MapReduce ApplicationMaster, MapReduce runtime etc.). Hence, this isn't a much of a change.

# Subversion

Not much at all! YARN has, since the beginning, been developed with the understanding that it is very independent of MapReduce and the code-bases are already independent i.e. hadoop-mapreduce-project/hadoop-yarn and hadoop-mapreduce-project/hadoop-mapreduce-client.

Essentially the change would be:
$ svn mv hadoop-mapreduce-project/hadoop-yarn hadoop-yarn-project/hadoop-yarn
... and the necessary, albeit small, changes to our maven build infrastructure.

# Release Cycles

No changes.

YARN would be co-released with Common, HDFS & MapReduce, as is the case today.

thanks,
Arun