Hadoop >> mail # user >> where are my logging output files going to?

where are my logging output files going to?
if i have a hadoop cluster of 10 nodes, do i have to modify the
/hadoop/conf/log4j.properties files on ALL 10 nodes to be the same?

currently, i ssh into the master node to execute a job. this node is the
only place where i have modified the logj4.properties file. i notice that
although my log files are being created, nothing is being written to them.
when i test on cygwin, the logging works, however, when i go to a live
cluster (i.e. amazon elastic mapreduce), the logging output on the master
node no longer works. i wonder if logging is happening at each slave/task
node?

could someone explain logging or point me to the documentation discussing
this issue?