Hadoop >> mail # general >> Heads up: hadoop-2.0.1-alpha

Re: Heads up: hadoop-2.0.1-alpha

On Jun 8, 2012, at 11:59 AM, Finger, Jay wrote:

> I only recently discovered the "general" alias, my apologies if this was all described in the past and I missed it...
>
> The "X.Y.Z-alpha" has been confusing to me.  When I first saw "2.0.0-alpha" I assumed that there would be multiple "2.0.0" branches, for example 2.0.0-beta, 2.0.0-rc1, 2.0.0-rc2, 2.0.0-release.  It seems fairly clear that this was an incorrect assumption.
>
> Am I correct in my current assumption that the "-alpha" does not imply any future releases for the version, but is instead a redundant adjective applied to the name to make it explicit to the world at large that 2.0.0 (or 2.0.1) is an alpha quality branch?

Yes, absolutely - this is to warn the world at large that 2.x is still 'alpha' quality.

See the discussion on general@ here: http://s.apache.org/A5T
Some more info: http://hortonworks.com/blog/apache-hadoop-2-0-alpha-released/

hth,
Arun