HBase, mail # dev - HBase wire compatibility

Re: HBase wire compatibility
Jacques 2012-02-16, 22:27
On Thu, Feb 16, 2012 at 12:48 PM, Todd Lipcon <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

That said, we should be absolutely sure that we don't expose protobufs
> to the *client API*
As a pure user & outsider, I have to share that right now we use protobufs
extensively all around HBase and constant conversion between byte[],
ImmutableBytesWritable and ByteString seems like a lot of overhead
(especially with larger objects).  While exposing ByteString etc. as the
only interface might not be very user friendly, exposing it as an advanced
interface would be very useful.  Or at a minimum, it would be nice that if
we wanted to get access to the lower level pb objects, that modifications
to HTable and/or supporting classes wouldn't be super complicated.

just my .02,
Jacques