Pig >> mail # user >> Pig UDF question

Pig UDF question
I am trying to write an UDF that indexes data in elasticsearch after
converting it to JSON. I had 2 questions:

1. If I create a static member in UDF class is that one instance per mapper
task?
2. Is there a method that gets called at the end of mapper method that I
can use for cleanup?

I was wondering if I should rather write a storefunc that would index the
data. Need some help here, essentially I need some way to initialize search
Client once and then at the end close it out.