Zookeeper >> mail # user >> Starting a distributed env of ZK

RE: Starting a distributed env of ZK
Hi Sznajder,

>> 1 - In case of  distributed env of ZK, should I start ZK on each one of the servers? Or only in the master?

It all depends on the tolerated failures in the system and if ZK server goes down, what would be the impact on your application. In case of Single node ZooKeeper server, it will be the Single Point of Contact.

The advantage of having ZooKeeper quorum of instances is, your system will be able to run even if few ZooKeeper server fails.

Please see more about ZooKeeper quorum at:

http://zookeeper.apache.org/doc/trunk/zookeeperStarted.html#sc_RunningReplicatedZooKeeper

java -cp zookeeper.jar:lib/slf4j-api-1.6.1.jar:lib/
slf4j-log4j12-1.6.1.jar:lib/log4j-1.2.15.jar:conf \ org.apache.zookeeper.server.quorum.QuorumPeerMain zoo.cfg

I'll suggest to use the script bin/zkServer.sh start and this is pretty simple.

Please see this section, it will be helpful to setup single node.

http://zookeeper.apache.org/doc/trunk/zookeeperStarted.html#sc_InstallingSingleMode

-Rakesh