HDFS >> mail # dev >> Thinking ahead to hadoop-2.6

Thinking ahead to hadoop-2.6
Folks,

 With hadoop-2.5 nearly done, it's time to start thinking ahead to hadoop-2.6.

 Currently, here is the Roadmap per the wiki:

• HADOOP
• Credential provider HADOOP-10607
• HDFS
• Heterogeneous storage (Phase 2) - Support APIs for using storage tiers by the applications HDFS-5682
• Memory as storage tier HDFS-5851
• YARN
• Dynamic Resource Configuration YARN-291
• NodeManager Restart YARN-1336
• ResourceManager HA Phase 2 YARN-556
• Support for admin-specified labels in YARN YARN-796
• Support for automatic, shared cache for YARN application artifacts YARN-1492
• Support NodeGroup layer topology on YARN YARN-18
• Support for Docker containers in YARN YARN-1964
• YARN service registry YARN-913

 My suspicion is, as is normal, some will make the cut and some won't. Please do add/subtract from the list as appropriate. Ideally, it would be good to ship hadoop-2.6 in a 6-8 weeks (say, October) to keep up a cadence.

 More importantly, as we discussed previously, we'd like hadoop-2.6 to be the *last* Apache Hadoop 2.x release which support JDK6. I'll start a discussion with other communities (HBase, Pig, Hive, Oozie etc.) and see how they feel about this.

thanks,
Arun
CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE