HDFS >> mail # dev >> Re: Moving to JDK7, JDK8 and new major releases

Re: Moving to JDK7, JDK8 and new major releases
That classpath policy was explicitly added because we can't lock down our
dependencies for security/bug fix reasons, and also because if we do update
something explicitly, their transitive dependencies can change -beyond our
control.

https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HADOOP-9555 is an example of this: an
update of ZK explicitly to fix an HA problem. Are there changes in its
dependencies? I don't know. But we didn't have a choice to update if we
wanted NN & RM failover to work reliably, so we have to take any other
changes that went in.

JDK upgrades can be viewed as an extension of this -we are changing the
base platform that Hadoop runs on. More precisely, for the Java 6- >Java 7
update, we are reflecting the fact that nobody is running in production on
Java 6

Do you realise we actually moved to Java 6 in 2008?
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HADOOP-2325 . That was six years ago
-half the names on that list are not active on the project any more.

What we did there was issue a warning in 0.18 that it would be the last
Java 5 version; 0.19  moved up -we can do the same for a Hadoop 2.x release
at some point this year.