HDFS >> mail # dev >> [VOTE] Merge HDFS-5698 Use protobuf to serialize / deserialize FSImage to trunk

+
Haohui Mai 2014-01-30, 22:37
+
Jing Zhao 2014-01-30, 23:07
+
Todd Lipcon 2014-01-30, 23:19
+
Haohui Mai 2014-01-31, 00:02
Re: [VOTE] Merge HDFS-5698 Use protobuf to serialize / deserialize FSImage to trunk
+1

This was very important improvement.

hope it release at 2.4
 On Jan 31, 2014 6:37 AM, "Haohui Mai" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> I would like to call a vote to merge of the new protobuf-based FSImage into
> trunk.
>
> The changes introduce a protobuf-based FSImage format into HDFS. It
> separates the responsibility of serializing and reconstructing the
> namespace in the NameNode using Google's Protocol Buffers
> (protobuf). The new FSImage delegates much parts of the serialization /
> deserialization logics to the protobuf side. It is also designed to
> improve the supports for compatibility and interoperability.
>
> The development has been done in a separate branch:
> https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/hadoop/common/branches/HDFS-5698
>
> The design document is available at:
>
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/attachment/12626179/HDFS-5698-design.pdf
>
> The HDFS-5698 jira tracks the development of the feature.
>
> The feature changes no public APIs. The existing tests include both
> unit tests and end-to-end tests. They have already covered this
> feature.
>
> Once the feature is merged into trunk, we will continue to test and
> fix any bugs that may be found on trunk.
>
> The bulk of the design and implementation was done by Jing Zhao,
> Suresh Srinivas and me. Thanks Kihwal Lee, Todd Lipcon, Colin
> Patrick McCabe, Chris Nauroth, and Daryn Sharp for providing feedback on
> the jiras and in discussions.
>
> This vote runs for a week and closes on 2/6/2013 at 11:59 pm PT.
>
> Regards,
> Haohui
>
> --
> CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE