HDFS, mail # dev - Issue with my username on my company provided dev box? (Was: …)

Re: Issue with my username on my company provided dev box? (Was: ...)
Andrew Purtell 2014-01-30, 16:43
The Apache Software Foundation takes branding seriously, we all know this.
Making an inquiry about a possible, and I believe unintended, mis-branding
issue involving Apache Hadoop artifacts is not a personal assault. The
hysterical responses here have been unprofessional and disgraceful, and
only serve to reinforce the notion people have outside your walls that you
can't be bothered to treat the larger community with respect. That is not a
petty issue I assure you.
On Wed, Jan 29, 2014 at 7:31 PM, Arun C Murthy <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Stack,
>
>  Apologies for the late response, I just saw this.
>
> On Jan 29, 2014, at 3:33 PM, Stack <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> > Slightly related, I just ran into this looking back at my 2.2.0 download:
> >
> > [stack@c2020 hadoop-2.2.0]$ ./bin/hadoop version
> > Hadoop 2.2.0
> > Subversion https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/hadoop/common -r 1529768
> > Compiled by hortonmu on 2013-10-07T06:28Z
> >
> > Does the apache binary have to be compiled by 'hortonmu'?   Could it be
> > compiled by 'arun', or 'apachemu'?
> >
> > Thanks,
> > St.Ack
>
>  Thank you for tarring all my work here with a brush by insinuating not
> sure what for using my company provided dev machine to work on Hadoop.
>
>  I'll try find a non-company provided dev machine to create future builds,
> it might take some time because I'll have to go purchase another one. Or,
> maybe, another option is to legally change my name.
>
>  Meanwhile, while we are on this topic, I just did:
>
>  $ git clone git://git.apache.org/hbase.git
>  $ grep -ri cloudera *
>
>  Should I file a jira to fix all refs including the following imports of
> org.cloudera.* (pasted below) ... can you please help fix that? There are
> more, but I'll leave it to your discretion. Compared to my username on my
> company provided dev. box, this seems far more egregious. Do you agree?
>
>  In future, it might be useful to focus our efforts on moving the project
> forward by contributing/reviewing code/docs etc., rather than on petty
> things like usernames.
>
> thanks,
> Arun
>

> hbase-client/src/main/java/org/apache/hadoop/hbase/client/AsyncProcess.java:import
> org.cloudera.htrace.Trace;
> hbase-client/src/main/java/org/apache/hadoop/hbase/ipc/RpcClient.java:import
> org.cloudera.htrace.Span;
> hbase-client/src/main/java/org/apache/hadoop/hbase/ipc/RpcClient.java:import
> org.cloudera.htrace.Trace;
> hbase-client/src/main/java/org/apache/hadoop/hbase/zookeeper/RecoverableZooKeeper.java:import
> org.cloudera.htrace.Trace;
> hbase-client/src/main/java/org/apache/hadoop/hbase/zookeeper/RecoverableZooKeeper.java:import
> org.cloudera.htrace.TraceScope;
> hbase-it/src/test/java/org/apache/hadoop/hbase/mapreduce/IntegrationTestImportTsv.java:
>      org.cloudera.htrace.Trace.class);               // HTrace
> hbase-it/src/test/java/org/apache/hadoop/hbase/mttr/IntegrationTestMTTR.java:import
> org.cloudera.htrace.Span;
> hbase-it/src/test/java/org/apache/hadoop/hbase/mttr/IntegrationTestMTTR.java:import
> org.cloudera.htrace.Trace;
> hbase-it/src/test/java/org/apache/hadoop/hbase/mttr/IntegrationTestMTTR.java:import
> org.cloudera.htrace.TraceScope;
> hbase-it/src/test/java/org/apache/hadoop/hbase/mttr/IntegrationTestMTTR.java:import
> org.cloudera.htrace.impl.AlwaysSampler;
> [...]

Best regards,

   - Andy

(via Tom White)