Accumulo >> mail # user >> Suggestions on modeling a composite row key

Re: Suggestions on modeling a composite row key
At sqrrl, we tend to use a Tuple class that implements List<String>
(List<ByteBuffer> would also work), and has conversions to and from
ByteBuffer. To encode the tuple into a byte buffer, change all the "\1"s to
"\1\2", change all the "\0"s to "\1\1", and put a "\0" byte between
elements. "\1" is used as an escape character for all of the "\1"s and
"\0"s appearing in the the unencoded form. To decode, just split on "\0"
and reverse the escaping. This encoding preserves hierarchical,
lexicographical ordering of tuple elements.

Cheers,
Adam