Flume >> mail # user >> HDFSEventSink Memory Leak Workarounds

HDFSEventSink Memory Leak Workarounds
Hello,

We have a Flume Agent (version 1.3.1) set up using the HDFSEventSink.  We
were noticing that we were running out of memory after a few days of
running, and believe we had pinpointed it to an issue with using the
hdfs.idleTimeout setting.  I believe this is fixed in 1.4 per FLUME-1864.

Our planned workaround was to just remove the idleTimeout setting, which
worked, but brought up another issue.  Since we are partitioning our data
by timestamp, at midnight, we rolled over to a new bucket/partition, opened
new bucket writers, and left the current bucket writers open.  Ideally the
idleTimeout would clean this up.  So instead of a slow steady leak, we're
encountering a 100MB leak every day.

Short of upgrading Flume, does anyone know of a configuration workaround
for this?  Currently we just bumped up the heap memory and I'm having to
restart our agents every few days, which obviously isn't ideal.

Is anyone else seeing issues like this?  Or how do others use the HDFS sink
to continuously write large amounts of logs from multiple source hosts?  I
can get more in-depth about our setup/environment if necessary.

Here's a snippet of the one of  our 4 HDFS Sink configs:
agent.sinks.rest-xaction-hdfs-sink.type = hdfs
agent.sinks.rest-xaction-hdfs-sink.channel = rest-xaction-chan
agent.sinks.rest-xaction-hdfs-sink.hdfs.path /user/svc-neb/rest_xaction_logs/date=%Y-%m-%d
agent.sinks.rest-xaction-hdfs-sink.hdfs.rollCount = 0
agent.sinks.rest-xaction-hdfs-sink.hdfs.rollSize = 0
agent.sinks.rest-xaction-hdfs-sink.hdfs.rollInterval = 3600
agent.sinks.rest-xaction-hdfs-sink.hdfs.idleTimeout = 300
agent.sinks.rest-xaction-hdfs-sink.hdfs.batchSize = 1000
agent.sinks.rest-xaction-hdfs-sink.hdfs.filePrefix = %{host}
agent.sinks.rest-xaction-hdfs-sink.hdfs.fileSuffix = .avro
agent.sinks.rest-xaction-hdfs-sink.hdfs.fileType = DataStream
agent.sinks.rest-xaction-hdfs-sink.serializer = avro_event

-Tim
+
Connor Woodson 2013-05-21, 21:12
+