Flume, mail # dev - [DISCUSS] Flume 1.4 release plan

+
Mike Percy 2013-05-22, 07:33
+
Hari Shreedharan 2013-05-22, 07:45
+
Arvind Prabhakar 2013-05-22, 08:02
+
Jarek Jarcec Cecho 2013-05-22, 08:09
+
Alexander Alten-Lorenz 2013-05-22, 09:02
+
Ralph Goers 2013-05-26, 14:58
Re: [DISCUSS] Flume 1.4 release plan
Mike Percy 2013-05-28, 13:47
Hmm, I wish we had agreed on the use of those APIs outside the project up
front. The interfaces log4j2 used to embed Flume were not designed to be
public. Now that we have a stable API, hopefully log4j2 can have another
release soon which takes advantage of the embedded agent APIs.

AFAICT it's not going to be straightforward to provide backward
compatibility with the previous APIs, but I'm willing to be proven wrong...

Regards,
Mike

On Sun, May 26, 2013 at 7:58 AM, Ralph Goers <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>wrote:

> The one concern I have is that when adding support for embedded agents
> some classes were removed. This means if users of Log4j 2 try to use 1.4
> they will have problems until it is modified to use Flume 1.4.  It would
> have been nice to have had at least one release where both were present.
>
> Ralph
>
> On May 22, 2013, at 12:33 AM, Mike Percy wrote:
>
> > Hi folks,
> > We have had over 100 commits since 1.3.1, and a bunch of new features and
> > improvements including a Thrift source, much improved ElasticSearch sink,
> > support for a new plugins directory and layout, compression support in
> the
> > avro sink/source, improved checkpointing in the file channel and more,
> plus
> > a lot of bug fixes.
> >
> > It seems to me that it's time to start thinking about cutting a 1.4
> > release. I would be happy to volunteer to RM the release. Worth noting
> that
> > I will be unavailable for the next two weeks... but after that I'd be
> happy
> > to pick this up and run with it. That's also a decent amount of time for
> > people  to get moving on patches and reviews for their favorite features,
> > bug fixes, etc.
> >
> > If this all sounds OK, I'd like to suggest targeting the last week of
> June
> > as a release date. If we can release in time for Hadoop Summit then that
> > would be pretty nice. Otherwise, if something comes up and we can't get
> the
> > release out that week, let's shoot for the first week of July at the
> latest.
> >
> > Please let me know your thoughts.
> >
> > Regards,
> > Mike