HBase >> mail # user >> MemStoreFlusher: region has too many store files (client timeout)

Re: MemStoreFlusher: region has too many store files (client timeout)
Thanks for the reply, although I should clear some misunderstandings. In
general, I do know general behavior and difference between minor and major
compaction, as well as when minor compaction might become (could be
promoted) to major compaction. I just wanted to verify influence of
compaction (mostly major) on our cluster performance. Thus, I've created
test where I'm putting data to only one region (total 71) by one single
threaded client using build in caching mechanism (according to "HBase The
Definitive Guide" book) and triggering major compaction by hand
(HBaseAdmin). Although, after few tests I've noticed that major compaction
(Large Compaction) is being triggered (cache flusher, recursive queue) so I
left it as it was (not triggering it anymore). That brought me to this
situation, where I'm putting data and after a while I'm getting timeouts on
the client, in meanwhile I see that memstore is being flush which cant
create new store file (cause there are to many of them) and which is
frequently blocked by compaction process. I hope that this short description
will bring closer look at the issue. In addition, here are some answers to
your questions:

1. How often are you flushing?
 I'm not triggering flushing by hand, but I've noticed that data is being
flushed every 4s (275m) or 1m 30s-40s (1.5g).
2. How often are you force flushing from HLog rolls?
Default settings are: blocksize=64 MB, rollsize=60.8 MB, enabled=true,
optionallogflushinternal=1000ms. It seems that roll is made every hour.
3. What size are your flushes?
 Depends, from 275m up to 1.5g. I've set my memstore flush size to 256m and
memstore block multiplier to 6. Should I increase the flush size??
4. What does your region count look like as that can affect your flush size?
Initial split is 37 regions on 6 RegionServers, but at the moment there are
71 regions.

Kevin O'dell wrote