MapReduce >> mail # user >> HDFs file-create performance

HDFs file-create performance
Are there any rough numbers one can give me regarding the latency of creating, writing, and closing a small HDFS-based file?  Does replication have a big impact?  I am trying to decide whether to communicate some modestly-sized (~200KB) information via HDFS files or go to the trouble of creating a protocol.
Thanks
John