Avro >> mail # user >> Paranamer issue

Re: Paranamer issue

On 6/6/12 10:33 AM, "Peter Cameron" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>The BSD license is a problem for our clients, whereas the Apache 2
>license is not. Go figure. That's the situation!

ASL 2.0 is a derivative of the BSD license, after all...
Apache projects regularly depend on other items that are MIT or BSD
licensed since these are the least restrictive open source licenses around.

>So what is the answer for us when we don't want to ship the avro tools
>JAR but need the Paranamer classes from it. What can we do to stay
>consistent with Apache 2 e.g. create my own Paranamer JAR containing
>just those classes from the tools JAR?
As Doug said, packaging doesn't affect anything license-wise, but you can
repackage things fairly easily into a single jar that contains what you
need using maven-shade-plugin.
The avro-tools.jar uses this to repackage all dependencies inside of it.
You can do the same thing for the base avro.jar and explicitly include
only the few jars you need (or exclude those you do not) by adding a
maven-shade-plugin configuration to lang/java/avro/pom.xml
and rebuilding.