Pig, mail # user - [DISCUSSION]Pig releases with different versions of Hadoop

[DISCUSSION]Pig releases with different versions of Hadoop
Olga Natkovich 2011-11-07, 19:15
Hi,

In the past we have for the most part avoided supporting multiple versions of Hadoop with the same version of Pig. This is about to change with release of Hadoop 23. We need to come up with a strategy on how to support that. There are a couple of issues to consider:
(1)    Version numbering. Seems like encoding the information in the last version number makes sense. The details of the encoding need to be hashed out

(2)    Code changes required to support different version of Hadoop. This time around we made an effort to make sure that the same code can work with both. In the future that might not work and we would need to figure out how to maintain different code base. Most likely we would have to have additional branches off of main release branch

(3)    Anything else we need to consider?

Olga