Hadoop, mail # general - [VOTE] Maintain a single committer list for the Hadoop project

Re: [VOTE] Maintain a single committer list for the Hadoop project
Vinod Kumar Vavilapalli 2012-08-30, 16:20

Given that a discussion of a TLP proposal is happening in parallel, and that there seems to be a positive response there, is this vote still happening?

At any rate, here's my opinion: The earlier project split, however painful it was, has done a lot of good, both in terms of project management as well as community focus. Leaving common project aside, merging the committer lists back is going to submerge the underlying issue of communities, that have acquired sufficient independence, attempting to function together and is also likely to make us depend on informal behavior of trusting someone to not commit code that they aren't really responsible for.

This is definitely going in the opposite direction of our long term goals.

-1.

Thanks,
+Vinod