HBase, mail # dev - Removing HRegionInterface in 0.96, HBASE-5889

Re: Removing HRegionInterface in 0.96, HBASE-5889
tsuna 2012-05-04, 05:02
On Thu, May 3, 2012 at 12:30 PM, Stack <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On Thu, May 3, 2012 at 11:54 AM, Jimmy Xiang <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> To those non-bundled (third-party) HBase client(s) using HRegionInterface
>> directly, such as
>> asynchbase, should 0.96 be a singularity too?
>>

> I've already talked w/ Benoît and he is good w/ move to pb; he (we)
> will make it able to ride over the singularity.
>
> I'd vote remove HRI.  If we leave it in, its not a singularity anymore?

Yes, the singularity is fine for asynchbase too.  The only things I'm
requesting are:
  (1) If you remove the root table, please use the same znode and have
it point to meta instead.
  (2) The root znode should contain a protobuf describing where META is.
  (3) The PB in the root znode should contain a small field that
indicates what protocol version HBase expects (e.g. do we still have
the "hrpc3" bullshit from Hadoop, or is it "hrpc4" now, or do we have
an RPC envelope in full protobuf, or something else).

This way maintaining compatibility is easy.  Just read the root znode
like before, in the same location, and inspect its contents:
  - If it's a protobuf, then you know it's HBase >= 0.96, parse the
protobuf and find where the META table is and what protocol version it
expects.
  - Otherwise, it's not a protobuf, keep doing whatever we were doing
prior HBase 0.96.

--
Benoit "tsuna" Sigoure
Software Engineer @ www.StumbleUpon.com