Flume, mail # user - Custom sink - "close() called when transaction is OPEN" error

+
Andrew Jones 2012-11-14, 16:55
+
Roshan Naik 2012-11-14, 19:57
Re: Custom sink - "close() called when transaction is OPEN" error
Hari Shreedharan 2012-11-14, 20:02
Which version of Flume are you using? It looks like the transaction was never rolled back or committed. It is likely that the rollback method too threw some exception, and the rollback was not successful. Also, what channel are you using?
Thanks,
Hari

--
Hari Shreedharan
On Wednesday, November 14, 2012 at 8:55 AM, Andrew Jones wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have a custom sink which has been working fine, but recently I have started seeing this error in the logs:
>
> Unable to deliver event. Exception follows.
> java.lang.IllegalStateException: close() called when transaction is OPEN - you must either commit or rollback first
>         at com.google.common.base.Preconditions.checkState(Preconditions.java:176)

> After having a google and finding https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/FLUME-1089, I have double checked I am using the correct try, catch, finally idiom that other sinks use, and I seem to be doing the same. I do the following:
>
> public Status process() throws EventDeliveryException {
> Status status = Status.READY;
>
> Channel channel = getChannel();
> Transaction transaction = channel.getTransaction();
>
> try {
> transaction.begin();
>

>                         // does a bit of processing and
>                         // writes out the event to MongoDB
>
>                         transaction.commit();
>
> } catch (Throwable t) {
> transaction.rollback();
>
> if (t instanceof Error) {
> throw (Error) t;
> } else if  (t instanceof EventDeliveryException) {
> throw (EventDeliveryException) t;
> } else if (t instanceof ChannelException) {
> logger.error("Brodie Log Sink " + getName() + ": Unable to get event from" +
> " channel " + channel.getName() + ". Exception follows.", t);
> status = Status.BACKOFF;
> } else {
> throw new EventDeliveryException("Failed to send events", t);
> }
> } finally {
> transaction.close();
> }
>

> return status;
> }
>
> }
>
> All of this code came from looking at other sinks (Avro and HDFS), so I am pretty sure its correct.
>
> Can anyone see anything that might be a problem, or is there anything else I can do to avoid this error?
>
> Thanks,
> Andrew

+
Andrew Jones 2012-11-15, 11:24