Drill >> mail # dev >> We need patches instead of Pull Requests...

+
Jacques Nadeau 2013-02-25, 03:54
+
Julian Hyde 2013-02-25, 19:42
Re: We need patches instead of Pull Requests...
I also agree opening pull requests are a lot easy, then manually creating
and uploading patch files.

However the only annoyance is that we do need to remember closing them once
it's merged ourselves.

Closing a pull request is less work then patch files though, so I would
prefer what Julian suggested

Tim
On Mon, Feb 25, 2013 at 11:42 AM, Julian Hyde <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On Feb 24, 2013, at 7:54 PM, Jacques Nadeau <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> > We need to switch to using patches rather than pull requests.  Since
> GitHub
> > is a read only mirror of Apache's Git repo and we can't close the
> requests
> > there (as far as I understand), we need to move away from using pull
> > requests.  (The only time we "closed" requests is when we took the
> commits
> > as is rather than doing anything such as rebasing; in those cases GitHub
> > detected the ff merge.)  You can see [1] for more information.
> >
> > So, from now on, please provide patches attached to your JIRAs.  We also
> > have reviewboard enabled now at [2].  For larger patches, we should
> > probably use that.
>
> But is it OK for me to put the URL of a github patch into the jira case?
> (Each github pull request is available as a patch, see e.g.
> https://github.com/apache/incubator-drill/pull/9.patch.) I would think
> so. This is the easiest way for me, as a non-committing developer, to
> submit code, and I don't think it makes your life more difficult.
>
> Julian

+
Jacques Nadeau 2013-02-25, 20:28
+