HBase, mail # dev - Re: collision in the naming of '.snapshot' directory between hdfs snapshot and hbase snapshot

+
Jean-Marc Spaggiari 2013-04-16, 11:10
collision in the naming of '.snapshot' directory between hdfs snapshot and hbase snapshot
Jonathan Hsieh 2013-04-16, 03:24
constraints:

1) hbase 0.94.6 is released and .snapshot is hardcoded in there.
2) hdfs snapshots is a Hadoop 2.1 or 3.0 feature. I doubt that it will ever
make it to 1.x.  This hdfs feature ideally this shouldn't affect current A
pache Hbase 0.94.x's.
3) hbase 95/96 may default to Hadoop1 or Hadoop 2. these versions should
pick a different table snapshot name to respect fs conventions.

proposed actions:

1) let's make the hbase snapshot for a conf variable. (hbase.
snapshots.dir)  let's change the default for hbase 95+. (maybe
.hbase-snapshots). we'll also port this patch to 0.94.x
2) let's publish instructions on how to update the hbase snapshot dir:
shutdown hbase, config update, rename dir, restart hbase.
3) I lean towards leaving the current default hbase snapshot dir in 94
since it shouldn't be affected.  upgrading hbase to 95/96 will require
shutdown and update scripts so it seems like the ideal time to autoforce
this default change.

Thoughts?

--
// Jonathan Hsieh (shay)