HBase >> mail # dev >> Adding a new region server or splitting an old region in a Hash-partitioned HBase Data Store

Re: Adding a new region server or splitting an old region in a Hash-partitioned HBase Data Store
Thanks St.Ack for mentioning about the load-balancer.

But my question was two folded:
Case-1. If a new RS is added, then the load-balancer will do it's job
considering no new region has been created in the meanwhile. // As you've
already answered.

Case-2. Whether a new RS is added or not, an existing region is splitted
into two, then how the new writes will to the new region? Because, lets say
initially the hash function was calculated with *N* Regions and now there
are *N+1* Regions in the cluster.

​In that case, do I need to change the Hash function and reshuffle all the
existing data within the cluster !! Or, HBase has some mechanism to handle
this?​
​Many thanks again for helping me out...​

Regards,
Joarder Kamal