Hive >> mail # user >> how to compute histogram on non-numeric data set?

how to compute histogram on non-numeric data set?
I have noticed histogram_numeric(col, n), but it seems to require numeric column.
I have a string column, they are numeric like string but are category label, e.g,

100001, 200034

two different strings are two different category but the numeric value does not mean anything,
so it is not proper to use histogram_numeric(cast(col to BIGINT), n).

thanks.
Richard