HBase, mail # dev - Omid: Transactional Support for HBase

Re: Omid: Transactional Support for HBase
Daniel Gómez Ferro 2011-11-05, 20:36

On Nov 5, 2011, at 05:37 , lars hofhansl wrote:

Cool stuff Daniel,

Hi Lars,

Thanks for the good points.
Was looking through the code a bit. Seems like you make a best effort to push as much of
the filtering of KVs of uncommitted transactions to HBase and then do some filtering on the client
not a bad approach. (I hope I didn't misunderstand the approach, only looked through the code for
1/2 hour or so).

Putting it more accurately, the uncommitted KVs are stored at HBase, but it is the client's job to filter them using the commit information that it has received from the status oracle. According to snapshot isolation guarantee, all the versions that are inserted with a timestamp larger than the transaction start timestamp must be ignored, which is done by setting the time range on the client's get request sent to HBase. Since the uncommitted changes of the aborted transactions are eventually removed from HBase, the client rarely needs to fetch more than a version to reach a KV that is committed before the transaction starts (the first property of snapshot isolation).

One thing I was wondering: Why bookkeeper? Why not store the WAL itself in HBase? That way
you might not even need a separate server.

Did you see: HBaseSI (http://www.cs.uwaterloo.ca/~c15zhang/HBaseSI.pdf), they also do MVCC
on top of unaltered HBase/schema, although from reading that paper I get the impression that it
would not scale to scans touching many rows (which is where your client side filtering comes in).

Thanks for the link. We had seen the other paper of the same authors (Grid2010) that shares the same bottlenecks with the recent work.
As you pointed out correctly, the question is about performance. You could see the scalability bottleneck of 400 TPS in the evaluation section of this paper. Our approach, however, provides snapshot isolation with a negligible overhead on region servers, and could scale up to tens of thousands write transactions per second. If you are interested, a summary of techniques that we used to achieve this performance is published at SOSP'11, poster section.
http://sigops.org/sosp/sosp11/posters/summaries/sosp11-final12.pdf
-- Lars