Accumulo >> mail # user >> Wikisearch

Re: Wikisearch
No, you're absolutely right, but if the webserver is OOME'ing, then it's
obviously doing something :). You could try configuring it to write out
a heapdump when it OOMEs and use jhat, jvisualvm or similar to analyze
what was actually in the heap.

Let me expand a little more for you. The global index (forward and
reverse) attempt to determine the search space for the query. For
queries over very selective data, it will identify records in a row in
the doc-partitioned table using the serialized protocol buffer in the
Value. These records can be tested directly instead of having to also
"open" the index inside of the doc-partitioned table. For very broad
queries or intersections over very common terms, the global index will
identifies the rows necessary to be searched in the doc-partitioned table.

The index in the doc-partitioned table is where the magic happens. A
"tree" (using that term very loosely for the given implementation) is
constructed for each field and term pair in each candidate row. At this
point, merged, sorted reads over each field and term pair in that row
are scanned trying to find docids which satisfy the "tree".

If you think of the docids as integers (they're not actually integers in
practice, but that's irrelevant), each field and term pair creates a
list of docids. For every AND in the query, you're intersecting the two
lists of docids into a single sorted list, and for every OR you're
merging those two lists into single sorted list.

This is trivial when you are simply intersecting two terms (e.g. "foo"
AND "bar"), but applies generally for arbitrary subtrees, e.g. ("foo"
AND ("bar" OR "bat" OR "baz")). Treating each subtree as a sorted list
of docids is your recursive definition.