Avro >> mail # user >> Limitations in enum symbols not mentioned in the spec

+
Francis Galiegue 2013-02-27, 16:24
+
Francis Galiegue 2013-02-27, 16:27
+
Doug Cutting 2013-02-27, 17:55
+
Francis Galiegue 2013-02-27, 18:12
Re: Limitations in enum symbols not mentioned in the spec
The restrictions on names are primarily to facilitate translation into
programming languages.  Map keys are user data, not part of a schema
that might be so translated.  We restricted map keys to strings, since
the standard map implementations in some programming languages don't
permit arbitrary types in keys.

Doug

On Wed, Feb 27, 2013 at 10:12 AM, Francis Galiegue <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 27, 2013 at 6:55 PM, Doug Cutting <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> The specification is more restrictive, it says:
>>
>>   The name portion of a fullname, record field names, and enum symbols must:
>>    - start with [A-Za-z_]
>>    - subsequently contain only [A-Za-z0-9_]
>>
>> The Java implementation is more liberal in what it accepts.
>>
>> This is discussed in https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/AVRO-1022.
>>

> Argh! OK, I have misread that part, I thought it only applied to names...
>
> Sorry for the noise :/
>
> One additional question: it applies to record field names, but _not_
> map keys? Curious...
>
> --
> Francis Galiegue, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> JSON Schema in Java: http://json-schema-validator.herokuapp.com