Avro, mail # user - Limitations in enum symbols not mentioned in the spec

Re: Limitations in enum symbols not mentioned in the spec
Doug Cutting 2013-02-27, 18:40
The restrictions on names are primarily to facilitate translation into
programming languages.  Map keys are user data, not part of a schema
that might be so translated.  We restricted map keys to strings, since
the standard map implementations in some programming languages don't
permit arbitrary types in keys.

Doug