Hive, mail # user - Create table like with partitions

Create table like with partitions
Peter Marron 2013-06-10, 13:31
Hi,

Using hive 0.10.0 over hadoop 1.0.4

I have a (non-partitioned) table with loads of columns.
I would like to create a partitioned table with the same set of columns.
So the approach that I have been taking is to use "CREATE TABLE copy LIKE original;"
then I can use ALTER TABLE to change the location and the INPUTFORMAT
and the OUTPUTFORMAT and the SERDE and properties and pretty much
everything else. However I don't seem to be able to make it partitioned.
Sure I can add partitions if it's already partitioned but I don't seem
to be able to make it partitioned if it's not already. I get errors like this:

hive> ALTER TABLE customerShortValues ADD PARTITION (aid='1') LOCATION 'E7/phase2/values/aid=1';
FAILED: Error in metadata: table is not partitioned but partition spec exists: {aid=1}
FAILED: Execution Error, return code 1 from org.apache.hadoop.hive.ql.exec.DDLTask

So, I guess that I could create the table I want by hand copying over all the
column definitions. But is there an easier way?