Hadoop >> mail # general >> Update on hadoop-0.23

Update on hadoop-0.23
Greetings,

I thought I'd drop a note to update folks on progress of hadoop-0.23.

Things are have been very busy in hadoop-0.23 land. We continue to crank through the issues and get ready to ship.

We are mostly pass the initial teething pains of moving our entire build infrastructure to Maven - many thanks to Alejandro, Tom, Giri & Eric Yang.

HDFS is nearly there:
# HDFS Federation and Client side mount tables have been tested with ~300 node clusters with security turned on.
# HDFS upgrades have been tested from 0.20.2xx.
# Functional tests for HDFS  are complete.

NextGen MapReduce (aka MRv2, aka YARN) is coming along great:
# We are happy to report we've done extensive scale testing to confirm stability
  - Sort/GridMixv3 etc. at ~350nodes
  - Scale testing with simulated clusters of ~1500 nodes
# Functional tests for all of MapReduce functionality
# Pig  (0.9 & 0.9.1) working with NextGen MapReduce
# All above have been done with no regressions in security.

We are about to finish performance certification for both HDFS & MapReduce in the next couple of weeks too, after which we start integration tests with HBase, Hive, Oozie etc.

We have cranked through 75 bugs in September alone (http://s.apache.org/mr-sept) and have another 50-ish bugs to go... we have at least 4 different organizations contributing patches to MRv2 in Sept alone: Yahoo, Hortonworks, LinkedIn & Huawei.

Given where we are I'm confident we can have a strong hadoop-0.23.0 release by late October. The current plan is to deploy to alpha clusters in November. Citius, Altius, Fortius! :)

Thanks to everyone who contributed, look forward to continued help.

Arun

PS: I'll continue to provide a periodic updates as we get closer to a hadoop-0.23.0 release.