Hadoop >> mail # general >> [VOTE] Release plan for Hadoop 2.0.5

Re: [VOTE] Release plan for Hadoop 2.0.5
Hi Chris and Arun,

You keep twisting around the purpose of the vote and my position in it.
As I said before: http://s.apache.org/WBf
I am not against the features. And I am not blocking them.
I propose to release them in a different than yours order, addressing
features vs. stability tradeoff.

Arun, you should remember that I started this argument with the proposal to
shift versions.
Just as Andrew proposed in his last email.
But you rejected the idea at the time.
This would have let people who want to work on stable 2.0 series, while you
could have continued releasing 2.1 with more features.

I think the lesson Arun learned from the longevity of branch-1 is wrong.
The lesson I learn is that if you keep one branch for too long you get
others branch off and you start loosing important members of the community
like Facebook. I think we should produce feature releases from trunk and
often. With the stability of a particular branch coming later when there is
a critical mass of contributors to work on its stabilization.

I don't know how to stop votes even if I wanted to.
As Apache members you should have more vote-stopping power than me if you
think it is against ASF norms.

Thanks,
--Konstantin