Hadoop >> mail # dev >> Re: Compatibility in Apache Hadoop

+
Steve Loughran 2013-04-23, 16:00
+
Karthik Kambatla 2013-04-23, 20:09
+
Andrew Purtell 2013-04-23, 18:32
+
Alejandro Abdelnur 2013-04-23, 18:50
+
Andrew Purtell 2013-04-23, 18:58
On 23 April 2013 11:32, Andrew Purtell <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> At the risk of hijacking this conversation a bit, what do you think of the
> notion of moving interfaces like Seekable and PositionedReadable into a new
> foundational Maven module, perhaps just for such interfaces that define and
> tag support for core semantics, as their details are better defined and
> documented? I was involved in a discussion today considering factoring out
> the codecs so other ecosystem projects might pull in only codec code.
> Similar to how hadoop-auth is slender and has a useful servlet filter
> implementing SPEGNO authentication, and so it is pulled into various
> places, and can even be used with Hadoop 1. The only thing preventing a
> clean separation of codecs like this is imports of Seekable and
> PositionedReadable. But these define behavior, they don't implement it.

I'd be against any more (mandatory) JAR files. Life is complicated enough,
and I would worry about version conflict with a hadoop-fs-api file and any
hadoop-1.x releases (the RemoteIterator stuff is new).

Other people may have other opinions; I can see how it'd make codecs more
portable, and reduce dependencies to their minimum.

-steve
+
Steve Loughran 2013-04-23, 18:26
+