HBase >> mail # user >> Control connection behavior to zookeeper with HBase?

Control connection behavior to zookeeper with HBase?
Not sure if I should post this to the zookeeper list or here but I will try
here first for my luck.

The application that I am working on runs a small HBase cluster (0.94.3)
with an external zookeeper(3.4.4).  Within the java client, when we invoke
the first call to fetch data from HBase table, a connection has been
established with zookeeper. After that, ever 2-3 seconds, we've found an
attempt from our java client to connect to zookeeper and the connection
quickly disconnect itself afterwards. This sounds like a "heartbeat" to
keep connection alive with zookeeper.

My question is - is this kind of "heartbeat" expected and useful? Our
normal use case involves fetching data to HBase table every 60 seconds or
so. Could we stop that heartbeat and re-connect to zookeeper on the fly
only when we need to read from HBase?

thanks!

Jason
+