Hadoop >> mail # general >> [DISCUSS]  Clarify bylaws on PMC chair voting

Re: [DISCUSS] Clarify bylaws on PMC chair voting
The current bylaws state that the PMC chair recommendation to the apache
board should be based off of lazy consensus.  That means that any PMC
member can -1(veto) a candidate so long as they give a valid reason with
the veto. The validity of the reason for the veto if challenged can be
confirmed by another PMC member.  I am fine with the proposal to use STV.
However, I don't think in practice it really matters if we allow for
vetoes or not.  If someone really feels strongly enough to veto a
candidate, they would also feel strongly enough make their reason known
during the voting and discussion on the candidate. If the reason is valid
enough to withstand a challenge I would suspect it would also be valid
enough to influence any voting process we set up.  I don't care what
voting process we use, I just care that the bylaws are clarified to pick
one that can handle one or more candidates.

-- Bobby